Birr Church House
The Church House: Birr
This adaptive reuse of the historic church infuses a modern, functional and aesthetic family retreat into an existing building while preserving the exterior, heritage features and architectural details throughout. The site has hosted a church since the 1830s. The conversion of this 1901 United Church building uses the original structure, keeping and preserving the interior roof beams, exterior walls, brickwork, doorways and fenestration. The home is enhanced by the insertion of a glass atrium in place of the apse, plane glass windows in the original apertures and landscaped garden.